We won’t enter into technicisms here, so for practical purposes we will refer to it as Cannabis.
There are several names used to describe this plant, many of them surrounded by heavy stigma. Call it Marijuana, Ganja, Weed, Pot, Grass, Dope... terms that ultimately refer back to cannabis - a plant, which for many, remains a controversial one.
Below a short recap - which we will try to keep quick and relevant:
- The first cannabis records date back to 3,000 – 2,000 B.C. in China. Chinese used cannabis in a variety of forms including the production of fibers (nothing wrong or controversial with that) and Taoists’ religious rituals.
- In the 14th Century, cannabis was banned for the first time when then Emir of the Joneima officially banned it in his jurisdiction - but it was never very clear as to why.
- A couple of centuries later, Napoleon invaded Egypt, and found out that French soldiers who couldn’t find alcohol, were consuming cannabis instead. Napoleon banned cannabis from his troops.
In the 20th Century, events accelerated, and cannabis’ worldwide status of prohibition unlocked.
- In 1920, the British passed the UK’s Dangerous Drug Act treating drug addiction as a penal offense, and in 1928, Cannabis was added to it.
- In 1961, the United Nations’ Single Convention on Narcotics Drugs, suggested that the use of cannabis, for anything different than for scientific purposes or medicine should be discontinued.
- In 1970, the U.S. passed the Controlled Substances Act, prohibiting cannabis federally along with several other drugs. The war on drugs started.
- In 1985, China joined the Convention on Psychotropic Substances and identified marijuana as a dangerous narcotic drug, making it illegal to possess or use it.
To sum it all up, these prohibition acts were built around the intoxicating properties that ‘THC’, - one of the cannabis components, could produce in the human body. Unfortunately, the latter completely skewed our understanding of the plant, without taking into consideration other cannabis' benefits, uses as well as its multiple components.
However, during the same time period, there were also true believers, enthusiasts and scientists that kept working around-the-clock, deciphering the plant and its benefits. But it was not until recent, that all this research was publicly released, with more actors getting interested while deploying additional capital in the field - aiming to further legitimize the plant and its uses.
Now, we are not here saying that Cannabis is the unique solution, or the secret ingredient that was missing for ages, and can solve whatever you were not able to solve before. We are here to help to legitimize the plant, because cannabis deserves to be understood differently, and because it does have a purpose to serve contrary to what we thought before.
At P U M B B A we are convinced that more education is needed, and this is why we are bringing this information to you - to answer some or many of your questions, but also to seed in you some kind of curiosity and try to break this taboo surrounding the plant.
We take things seriously by meticulously developing products that adhere to the highest quality standards and transparency proposition. Products you can ultimately trust, that make you feel safe; for a healthier and glowing looking skin.
Check out our Overnight Z-Mask here! And start feeling the benefits.